Quartz countertops are beautiful works of art and make for the perfect centre pieces in the home. Unlike natural stone countertops, quartz countertops are engineered from crushed quartz stone and resin to specifically meet the needs of everyday life. They are durable, hygienic and relatively easy to maintain. However, proper care is important to keep them in perfect condition for a long time.
Use a piece of soft cloth or sponge and detergent to clean loose stains. Dry with a clean, white cloth. Avoid scrubbing with steel wool and other abrasive cleaning pads and using strong base or acid cleaners (such as bleach), paint solvents, turpentine, nail polish removers or oven cleaners.
Tougher stains need to be soaked the in glass cleaner, mild washing detergent or a vinegar/water dilution for about 10 minutes before being rinsed with warm water. Avoid scrubbing with steel wool and other abrasive cleaning pads and using strong base or acid cleaners (such as bleach), paint solvents, turpentine, nail polish removers or oven cleaners.
This is especially important if the spill contains acids or bases. While highly resistant to the effects of corrosive chemicals, leaving spills (e.g. fruit juice, vinegar, sauces) on for long periods of time may etch the surface.
While stains won’t seep deep into quartz, but can be more difficult to clean if left to dry. Use a soft cloth and mild detergent to clean the mess. Glass cleaners also work well – never use abrasive cleaning methods, no matter how tempting it is to just “use whatever is available” and brute force a solution in.
Do not use hard metal tools to perform any abrasive action. Use a stiff but soft object, such as plastic card or a flat wooden, to remove as much sticky or greasy mess as possible before proceeding with the usual warm water, mild detergent and soft cloth wipe. Don’t use too much force, regardless, as the polymer resin might get damaged.
Avoid cutting directly on the surface of quartz countertops as this will not scratch and cut the soft resin, but will also damage your knives! Quartz is a very hard mineral (hardness of the quartz stone) and is a quick way of leaving your knives dull and damaged, so always use a cutting board.
Although quartz itself is very heat resistant the resin isn’t. Placing hot objects (skillets, grills, pots, pans, etc.) directly on its surface is likely to damage it. Also, sudden high changes in temperature can also cause stone to crack through thermal shock. Fortunately, any burn marks can be fixed by sanding down the surface evenly using specialized tools.
Quartz stone may be less brittle than granite and marble, but excessive pressure or impacts can still chip and crack the stone. Also, be mindful of what you put on it. A microwave is okay, but it’s not a good idea to stack heavy objects on top of one another, or use the countertop for heavy-duty work. Minor chipping or cracks can be fixed with filler and glue, but will need to replaced if the damage is too serious.