- By: Malcam Prasad
- Tags: advantages of Silestone, Butchers Block, caesarstone, countertop, Disadvantages of Silestone, granite, kompacplus, Laminate countertop, Lime stone Countertop, quartz, Quartz countertop, Recycled Glass, silestone, Silestone Maintenance, soapstone, soapstone countertop, solid surface
- Category: blog, Granite, KompacPlus, Marble, Quartz, Solid Surface
- 0 comment
Countertop: The Definitive Guide 2019
This 2019 definitive countertop guide to the pros and cons of each class leading countertop material will blow you away with the stark differences each stone type has to offer.
You'll be guaranteed to find the right stone choice for your countertop and hopefully get the bigger picture on the surface that can change your kitchen or even bar lifestyle forever!
Kickstart the mid-year off by having your countertop looking as good as you are! Lets get started!
What Type Of Countertop are you looking for?
1. Quartz Countertop
2. Granite Countertop
3. SoapStone Countertop
4. LimeStone Countertop
5. Marble Countertop
6. Laminate Countertops
7. Solid Surface Countertop
8. Recycled Glass Countertop
9. Butcher's Block Countertop
10. Kompacplus Countertop
11. Silestone Countertop
12. Ceasarstone Countertop
1. Quartz Countertop Guide
Quartz is an engineered stone made of quartz crystals and resins. Its durability and beautiful natural finish make it a favorite for homeowners who prefer a stunning but relatively maintenance free countertop.
ADVANTAGES OF QUARTZ COUNTERTOP
- Quartz is an abundant mineral and therefore cheaper than granite and marble.
- Quartz can have many colors depending on the chemical composition of the minerals, and all patterns are synthetically achieved, making it gradations consistent throughout a slab. You have the option of choosing subdued monotones or striking colors
- Quartz countertops are a simple mixture of 93% crushed quartz rocks and 7% resin binders and color additives.
- Appears to be a naturally occurring slab and looks rich.
- It is stronger than granite and more flexible, so it doesn’t chip as easily as granite does
DISADVANTAGES OF QUARTZ COUNTERTOP
- Quartz is made in standard slabs and the seams get pretty obvious. A darker colour can help you hide seams, but lighter colours and bold patterns can make seams harder to hide.
- Quartz is simply less naturally attractive than granite. There are many quartz options that mimic granite but it’s rather poorly done.
- At a similar price point to granite, which is rather sad considering it's not as pretty.
How to Clean Quartz Countertop?
- Since it is nonporous, it is relatively easy to clean with mild soap and water.
- Quartz can withstand oil, tomato sauce, ketchup, wine, coffee, juices and other stain producing liquids.
- Non-porosity means there is no risk of bacteria and viruses
How to Properly Maintain Quartz Countertop?
There is no need to reseal quartz at all. Just buff it once in six months. It’s mostly maintenance free.
How Popular is Quartz?
It’s currently the most popular Countertop material. It is also considered to be the most child-friendly countertop as its durable, hides stains well and is non-porous with the one caveat of not being scratch resistant.
Top 7 Quartz Countertop Brands in Singapore
Brands that we recommend for quartz are [Click for Sample]
Engineered Quartz (or simply referred to as Quartz) is man-made, manufactured from 80% to 85% quartz, polymer resins, and pigments that are compacted under intense vibration, pressure, and vacuum into dense, non-porous slabs.
Quartz does not require sealing and is also one of the bacteria-free surfaces available, making it house owners’ popular choice for their kitchen countertops.
Established in Verona in 1979, Stone Italiana focuses its designs based on patterns found in the natural world. The company is dedicated to reducing the thickness of their products while maintaining or even improving its mechanical strength and durability.
One of the most established quartz stone manufacturers around, Caesarstone prides itself with its meticulous attention to the manufacturing process of its products.
A long track record of satisfied customers is proof of the quality and beauty of Caesarstone quartz, with designs so beautiful and varied that no dream is unobtainable.
Silestone is a combination of natural quartz and other raw materials that are extraordinarily hard and resilient. These characteristics combine to create an ideal surface for kitchen countertops, bathrooms, flooring and wall siding.
Silestone Natural Quartz is a surface material with outstanding properties created for kitchen and bath design applications. It offers beauty similar to natural stone in a wide range of colors and extraordinary textures.
Silestone is a non-porous surface and highly resistant to staining caused by coffee, wine, lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, makeup and many other everyday products
An emerging supplier and fabricator of Quartz and Granite surfaces, AURASTONE is at the forefront of the industry for Excellent Workmanship, Customer Service and choosing the Finest Quality Materials.
AURASTONE strive to develop innovative and reliable products to meet the needs of our customers in every Residential, Commercial, Healthcare and Hospitality sector.
HanStone Quartz is an innovative combination of quartz to produce a luxurious yet durable stone surface. It’s a gorgeous blend of different sizes, types, and colors of quartz crystals, thus giving you desired hues while capturing the essence of natural colors. Unlike many other surfaces, HanStone Quartz is non-porous, thus requires no sealing.
2. Granite Countertop Guide
Granite is an igneous rock, with visible grains that create contrasting perforations. When cut as a slab, it forms a stunning centerpiece for any kitchen. In fact, for a time, it was the most sought-after countertop material.
ADVANTAGES OF GRANITE COUNTERTOP
- Colours, striations and veining are available in an endless variety. Between the light and dark shades, there are so many you can choose from.
- The most stunning natural stone on the market.
- Highly durable and can quite possible outlast your house if taken care of properly. If you chip it (You are freakishly strong, but we understand it happens), we recommend keeping the piece and having it glued on by professionals at Stone Amperor.
- For the most part, they’re heat resistant so you don’t have to worry about scorch marks from pans.
- Granite is pretty hard so knives won’t damage your
DISADVANTAGES OF GRANITE COUNTERTOP
- Slabs are a maximum of 3 meters long and 2 meters wide. So for larger area’s, seams may become very apparent. You can always opt for a darker color to make the seamless noticeable, but a natural stone is unique, so it will never match completely.
- If pots have grease on them or any organic liquid, it can seep into the porous granite and stain the surface.
- So, remember when I said, your knives can do no harm to granite? Well, it turns out, granite can do more harm to your knives. It can dull your knives.
- Granites hardness, though typically an asset, can be a real problem if you have glass bowls, china or wine glasses. A slight tap when placing the bowl on the countertop and you can create a hairline crack, and this can propagate into an even bigger crack.
- Any natural stone has a slight risk of carrying radioactive materials like Radon. Have your slabs tested in the warehouse before installation?
How to Clean Granite Countertop?
- Stick to cleaners that are pH neutral. Try a damp dishcloth with warm soapy water.
- Never use an abrasive cleaner or anything too acidic or alkaline. You don’t want to scratch or strip the seal, leaving it exposed and vulnerable to seepage and stains.
- Organic liquids like alcohol, vinegar, citrus juices and cooking oil can penetrate the seal and seep into the surface, discoloring it. Blot them up immediately. Never wipe because that simply spreads stains.
How to Properly Maintain Granite Countertop?
Granite needs to be resealed once every six months. You need an impregnating stone sealer that works on all stone surfaces and does not alter the color.
- Clean your countertop with a stone cleaner, and let it dry completely.
- Apply the sealer to a dry, clean and lint-free cloth, and wipe down the entire countertop surface including the edges.
- Wait for 5 to 10 minutes before applying the second coat, and you’re done.
- Wait 24 hours for the repellant effect to take hold, before preparing food on the countertop.
Watch this video for further explanations
Price Point Of Granite Countertop
Granite is one of the most expensive materials in the market, with prices ranging from $100 to $300 USD. The installation also commands a hefty sum as a single mistake can botch the slab, and you’d need a new one. Another costly expense is building strong cabinets that can take the load of granite.[CLICK HERE FOR GRANITE PORTFOLIO ]
3. Soapstone Countertop Guide
Soapstone is a mineral rock with a milky grey rustic appearance. As a quarried natural stone, it has beautiful veinings, making it a simple but elegant option. It’s a steatite stone that has mineral traces of chlorite, magnesite, dolomite, and talc. Soapstone with more talc tends to be softer and is typically used by sculptors.
Pros Of Soapstone Countertop
- Soapstone is beautiful and versatile, with solid shades of white or black with contrasting veinings. It’s a great look for rustic or eclectic kitchens.
- It lasts long and is very durable. Though soapstone is softer than granite, it is more pliable and less brittle.
- Being non-porous, soapstone does not need any sealing, only some periodic oiling for better aesthetics.
- As it grows older, it gets much darker and produces a beautiful and natural patina.
Cons Of Soapstone Countertop
- Slightly maintenance prone, because to avoid spotty darkening, you will have to oil the entire surface evenly
- A rough surface can chip your china and glassware. Opt for a smooth finish.
- You won't get a wide selection of colours. If you like bold patterns, you would be hard-pressed to find them.
How to Clean Soapstone Countertop?
Since its non-porous, all you need is a mild soap with warm water and a dish rag. It is inert in nature so you can breathe a sigh of relief when working with fresh fruits, acids, and meats.
How to Properly Maintain Soapstone Countertop?
Periodically rub down with mineral oil to maintain lustre.
Price point Of Soapstone
It costs around the same price range as low-end granite, at $75 to $115.
4. Limestone Countertop Guide
This natural stone is a beautiful light colour with a marble-like texture. Used in constructing some of the most beautiful buildings of yesteryear, limestone has a way of tempering bold interiors with a soft earthy tone.
ADVANTAGES OF LIMESTONE COUNTERTOP
- Limestone is very adaptable and easy to mould without considerably affecting construction.
- Bears a similar resemblance to marble, with white, sandy and pearly shades.
DISADVANTAGES OF LIMESTONE COUNTERTOP
- Very fragile compare to granite and quartz. Because it's so soft, its prone to scratching so always use a cutting board
- Needs a fair bit of maintenance to prevent water damage, including quarterly resealing.
- The biggest issue with limestone its that its a carbonate, so it will react violently with anything that has acid. Food juices, vinegar and meat may become a problem.
How to Clean Limestone Countertop?
- Using a microfiber cloth, dab some pH Neutral cleaner and wipe it all over the counter. let the cleaner sit on the surface for about 20 minutes, without letting it dry. Re-apply if necessary. For hard to remove stains or grease spots, use a limestone compatible alkaline cleaner. Either item can be found at your nearest limestone countertop supplier.
- Using the same microfibre cloth scrub the surface gently. If you don't have a microfiber cloth, use a soft-bristled plastic scrub brush.
- Using warm water, rinse the surface of the countertop and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth.
How to Properly Maintain Limestone Countertop?
- Before applying your sealer and sure your countertop surface is dry and clean. if your limestone happens to be very porous, you might have to let it dry for between 24 to 72 hours. This will make sure that you do not trap in any moisture into the limestone.
- Using a cotton cloth dab a thin coat of sealer, and wipe down the entire countertop early without missing a spot. Let the sealer seep into the limestone for 15 to 30 minutes. check the entire countertop for streaks, and reapply a bit of sealer to wipe them off.
- Apply two to three coats of sealer. If your countertop happens to be honed or textured surface then you may need to apply more than 3 coats.
- Do not use your countertop for at least 24 hours, so your sealer drives thoroughly.
Price Points Of Limestone Countertop
Prices can between $60 to $75 USD per square foot.
Limestone has become trendy for use in bathroom vanities. There is a general consensus online that limestone can be troublesome for kitchen countertops.
5. Marble Countertop Guide
This is the darling of countertop materials. Oh my granite which is an igneous rock, marble is metamorphic. This means millennia of heat and pressure applied to limestone created marble.
Carrara marble is a basic form of marble that is off-white and cheaper than the Calcutta and statuary marble that have dense and deep veining.
ADVANTAGES OF MARBLE COUNTERTOP
- The most stunning natural stone known to man. It's beautiful creamy colour with bold beautiful veining, will draw all eyes on it.
- Marble is relatively heat resistant. you don't have to worry about scorching as it can hold it's on against hot pots and pans. Thinking of using it as a bathroom vanity? you don't have to worry about setting your hair straightener or curling iron on it, as long as it doesn't remain on the marble for long. in fact, due to its heat resistance, it is ideal for fireplaces.
- It does not yellow from prolonged periods of heat exposure and can withstand the occasional spark.
- Despite marbles proclivity for scratches, it remains one of the few countertop materials that can be sanded down and polished again.
- You can have your custom marble slabs engraved with a pattern of your choosing.
DisADVANTAGES OF MARBLE COUNTERTOP
- It's best to stick to white or off-white colours and avoid darker shades of marble. any acid spillage or etching will be more prominent on a dark surface.
- Marble is hard but also quite brittle. its corners can chip in a very easy, so it's best to keep beveled or curved edges.
- It can be quite prone to scratching so it's best to use a chopping board for food preparation.
- Marble will, however, patina with age. Many people don't see this as a negative, as there are a charm and allure to old marble.
How to Clean Limestone Countertop?
- Always wipe stains and liquids on marble surfaces as soon as possible. Orange juice, wine and coffee are your enemies.
- Food particles to give off a strong colour, like human curry powder coffee grounds and leafy greens should be wiped up immediately.
- A simple cleaning method would be to use a damp cloth water to remove spills and dust particles.
- Wipe the surface dry without leaving any drops or streaks of water.
- For any rigorous cleaning, use a light soap or marble cleaner and wipe it into your surface with a soft non-abrasive cloth.
- If you're using light or white coloured marble, hydrogen peroxide is a safe cleaner choice.
- To get that extra shine on your marble, use a chamois cloth. Chamois can dry and shine your marble surfaces at the same time.
- A really useful trick to stain removal is to apply poultice. A poultice is a thick paste made of baking soda and water. Apply the poultice liberally to the scratched or stained area and cover it with a plastic wrap, leaving it for 24 hours to rest. Remove the plastic and check the results.
- If you're battling 3 spots, try sprinkling a bit of cornstarch or over it and let it sit for about 20 minutes. The cornstarch should absorb degrees and make it easy for you to wipe it away with a damp cloth.
How to Properly Maintain Limestone Countertop?
To remove scratches, try the following:
- Be your regular cleaning Regimen, use ultra-fine sandpaper and rub the area lightly.
Price Points Of Limestone Countertop
Unfortunately mobile has some of the highest prices on the market, with average cheaper options going for $40 per square foot, and the top of the line luxury options at a staggering $100 per square foot. It truly is the price for opulence.
6. Laminated Countertops Guide
Laminate, commonly referred to as Formica, is a decorative sheet made of paper, resin and plastic sheeting that is bonded to plywood substrate, or countertop particle boards to create a laminate countertop.
ADVANTAGES OF LAMINATED COUNTERTOP
- Laminates are the least expensive option for countertops. If you're the kind of person that likes to change up their house decor every few years, then laminate is a great option for you.
- Laminate is also very easy to install. if you have a little DIY in you, you can install them in a brand new ply board, or even on an existing laminate countertop.
DISADVANTAGES OF LAMINATED COUNTERTOP
- Laminates are prone to scratching and are very easy to damage. So you’d best be on your guard when working with knives and sharp objects.
- Laminate is far from heat resistant. Hot pans and boiling grease can melt it in seconds.
- Laminates also do very little for your resale value. So if you're thinking to sell the property, laminates won't get you very far.
How to Clean Laminated Countertop?
Here’s what to do for daily cleaning
- Using mild liquid detergent gently wipe down the laminate with a soft cloth.
- Be careful not to use too much water, as it may penetrate the seams and cause the laminate to swell up and crack.
- Avoid using any highly acidic or alkaline cleaners, with the exception of diluted vinegar for grease stains.
- To remove stains, make a routine of baking soda and mild cleaner, and apply it to the stain. Give it 5 minutes before rinsing it with a soft non-abrasive cloth.
- Never ever use steel wool on laminate surfaces. This can cause more staining as the surface will become more porous.
- Inkblots and stubborn stains need nail polish remover. Use a cotton ball to rub the stain out.
How to Properly Maintain Laminated Countertop?
- Following a thorough cleaning, apply a tablespoon of gel-gloss to a sponge.
- Using circular motions wipe the gloss all over the laminate countertop, and don't miss a spot.
- With a dry cloth, write down all the excess sealant from the surface.
7. Solid Surface Countertop Guide
Solid Surface is this amazing man-made material that's a composite of acrylic epoxy, polyester resins and other chemical combinations and pigments.
They were created for the sole purpose of being a countertop and can mimic the appearance of natural stones like marble and granite.
ADVANTAGES OF SOLID SURFACE
- Solid surfaces engineered to be the most durable countertop material ever. It is relatively impact resistant, so there's no need to worry about cracks, chips or any fissures that can propagate.
- Solid surfaces are also non-porous, So bacteria or water damage from sink installations, will not be a problem.
- It is the easiest to clean and can take soapy water and mild abrasive house cleaners with very little long-term maintenance.
- Solid Surface is readily scratch-resistant, so knife scratches and cigarette burns can be easily sanded out.
- Unlike natural stones, Solid Surface can be made seamless and can be easily fabricated into any space.
DISADVANTAGES OF SOLID SURFACE
- Unfortunately, this revolutionary countertop material has a fatal flaw. It is not as heat resistant as one would hope. Though it can handle boiling hot water and pans that have hot water in them, the high temperatures of boiling oil, or pots and pans that have dry heat, can cause scorch marks and even melt.
- Solid Surface is relatively resistant to typical kitchen acids and alkalis from food preparation, like lime juice and vinegar. However, stronger chemical compounds like nail polish, paint removers, sinner lacquers oven cleaners can severely damage your countertop.
Watch this video for the Pros and cons of Solid Surface
How to Clean Solid Surface Countertop?
For daily cleaning Solid Surface Countertops
- Regularly wipe down your countertop with a damp microfiber cloth.
- Use a mild dish soap and warm water to get rid of any dirty or stained areas.
- To prevent any streaks or water spots, dry thoroughly with a towel.
For Stain Removal Solid Surface Countertop
- Use liquid mild abrasive cleaner so difficult stains.
- If your Solid Surface has a matte finish, try cleaning it with a baking soda and water paste.
Price Point Of Solid Surface
Solid Surface is relatively inexpensive to buy, but costly to install. this material needs professional assistance, and installation can cost anywhere between $50 to $200 per square foot.
Popular Solid Surface Brands In Singapore
Brands that we recommend for quartz are [Click for Sample]
3S Polyester solid surfaces are known for its visual depth, colors and have resistances to chemicals that acrylics do not. However, it is most appreciated for its high-gloss finish.
It can be molded to an infinite number of shape that makes it more customizable.
Hanex solid surfaces can be fabricated and installed with inconspicuous seams in residential and commercial applications. Crafted from a unique blend of natural minerals and acrylic resins, Hanex solid surfaces can be cut, shaped and formed into an unlimited range of superior designs. While being aesthetic, Hanex solid surfaces are also very durable, giving you the best of both worlds.
Imperial Solid Surface is an advanced composite product used as a decorative material in a variety of residential and commercial applications. This composite surface offers durability, practical functionality and design versatility. And because it is supplied in sheets and shapes, Imperial solid surfaces can be fabricated with conventional woodworking tools into virtually any design.
Staron® Solid Surfaces by Lotte are highly functional, beautiful, acrylic surfacing materials that come in an impressive range of variegated colors. Staron® surfaces have multiple commercial as well as residential uses, and they are tough, stain-resistant, and easy to maintain.
Lotte Staron® full and partial sheets are also nonporous, which means there’s nowhere for bacteria and mold to hide andgrow—so you can be confident that you’ll have hygienic surfaces for all of your family’s needs.
Hailed as the first of its kind, Corian is the brand name for a top-of-the-line solid surface countertop material developed by DuPont scientists back in 1967.
Today, it is the base for several other market brands including Lotte’s Staron and LG’s HI-MACS. Each product differs mainly in the designs that they come in, presenting a myriad of beautiful designs for customers to choose from.
LG Hausys HI-MACS® Acrylic Solid Surface is a popular choice for countless applications. It is strong, seamless and incredibly modern.
It is made up of an intelligent composition of arcylic, natural minerals and pigments.
8. Recycled Glass Countertop Guide
This is a relatively new material to hit the countertop market. Recycle glass is beautiful and eco-friendly, with more homeowners installing it every year.
Crushed glass chips embedded in concrete and encased in a tough but durable acrylic.
ADVANTAGES OF RECYCLED GLASS COUNTERTOP
- Recycled glass countertops are extremely eye-catching, and can give you bold and contemporary looks, or even subtle and subdued striations.
- it is very hard and durable, so it does not stain easily.
- Recycled glass is easy to clean and non-porous, and with some light re-sealing, the concrete is stain resistant.
DISADVANTAGES OF RECYCLED GLASS COUNTERTOP
- Unfortunately, recycled glass is fairly expensive and installation costs can be substantial. you will need professional installers.
Price Point Of Recycled Glass Countertop
The material itself is usually priced at about $50 to $80 per square foot. This, however, does not include installation, and you will require professional service.
9. Butchers Block Countertop Guide
Butcher's Block is made of wood that is glued together to make a stable sturdy countertop surface. It comes in three types: Edge grain, face grain, and end grain which illustrates how the wood was glued together.
End grain pieces tend to be more expensive as they camouflage knife marks and are gentle on blade ages. For countertops, it's best to use unsealed butcher block.
ADVANTAGES OF BUTCHERS BLOCK COUNTERTOP
- Wood countertops are warm and beautiful, which is why many homeowners opt for it.
- There are many different types of wood, and each has their own character. Hardwood like maple and cherry oak or teak have beautiful finishing.
- Recycled wood is an eco-friendly option for countertops.
DISADVANTAGES OF BUTCHERS BLOCK COUNTERTOP
- Butcher's Block needs regular sealing, and if done incorrectly, is friendly for germs and bacteria.
- It is also prone to water damage, So it needs constant treatment with mineral oils or other protectants.
- It is very scratch prone, and through your knives are safe from dulling, your countertop can sustain a lot of scratches over time.
How to Clean Butchers Block Countertop?
- Remove any food residue with a plastic scraper, and avoid gouging the wood.
- Using mild dish soap, hot water and a scrub brush or sponge, scrub down the entire countertop thoroughly
- Rinse the countertop with hot water and a clean dishcloth.
- Spray undiluted vinegar onto the surface and let it sit for 15 minutes before wiping it off with a clean damp dishcloth.
- Dry the entire countertop surface with a clean cloth or paper towel.
How to Properly Maintain Butchers Block Countertop?
- After cleaning your butcher block surface and sanitizing with vinegar, make a lemon salt mixture by mixing a quarter of a cup of salt with enough lemon juice to make a paste.
- Scrubs the best charity into your butcher's block with a scrubbing brush to remove old is and bleach out stains. add more lemon juice if the mixture gets too dry.
- Seal the entire butcher block with mineral oil, by rubbing in a small amount using a cloth or paper towel. As the block continues to “drink” oil, keep reapplying till it stops.
- After checking to see if no more oil can soak in, remove any excess oil with a cloth.
10. Kompacplus Countertop Guide
Kompacplus is a fascinating entry into the kitchen countertop market. This sleek and versatile surface is bound to turn heads in your home.
Kompacplus is an engineered countertop material made from layers of Kraft paper that are stuck together and impregnated with thermosetting resins. The layers are then compressed at 9 MPa and heated in an industrial oven at a mere 150° Celsius. This a brief look at the material specifications of kompacplus.
Image via kompacplus
ADVANTAGES OF KOMPACPLUS
- The materials are practically non-flammable, making it a fantastic choice for your kitchen.
- It's a great material to work with if you're looking for a timeless and sleek design because it's designed thickness limit is 6 mm. This means you don't need a whole lot of kompacplus, to make your kitchen look flawless.
- It's extremely resilient, as it was made to conform to the highest European standards (BS EN 438). You're bound to get many years of heavy usage out of kompacplus.
- If you're either painstakingly busy or notoriously lazy, Kompacplus is your dream countertop material. The occasional wipe down and a little fuss free maintenance is all you need to get the most out of your kompacplus for many years to come.
- Kompacplus is also waterproof and steam proof. Now, not only will your kitchen countertops look sleek and timeless, your bathroom counters and vanities will look just as good too. High humidity is no match for a kompacplus.
- Kompacplus is Non-porous and highly resistant to any microorganisms and other disease-carrying nasties.
- One of the few countertop materials that have an almost authentic wood grain finish.
Image via kompacplus
DISADVANTAGES OF KOMPACPLUS
- The thinness of the sheets can be a turn off for some buyers, as other conventional stones like quartz tend to look bulky and give the illusions of sturdiness.
- Many of the swatches don’t work with your typical scandinavian themes, and look industrial or scandustrial.
Cleaning Regimen Of Kompacplus Countertop
For everyday cleaning:
- Use a clean cloth or a sponge to wipe down your countertop with some mild soap or detergent to do a quick wipe of your countertop.
- Use warm water to rinse the countertop thoroughly
- Wipe down thoroughly till completely dry.
Here are the manufacturers recommended cleaning best practices for Kompacplus:
|Origin of Dirt on Kompacplus||Recommended Cleaning Product and Method|
|Fruit juice, liquor, milk, tea, coffee, jam, wines and spirits||Wash using a soft sponge with water|
|Animal and crop fats, sauces, dry blood, eggs||Wash with hot water and soap, rinse well and dry with cotton cloth|
|Smoke black, jelly, vinyl adhesives, watercolor paints, organic residues||Wash with hot water and soap, rinse well and dry with cotton cloth|
|Vegetable oils, markers, wax, residual solvent marks||Clean using a cotton cloth with alcohol or acetone, rinse well with cold water and dry|
|Linseed oil||Remove using a cotton cloth with acetone|
|Neoprene adhesives||Remove using a cotton cloth with thinner|
|Synthetic oil paints||Remove using a cotton cloth with thinner|
|Silicon traces or residues||Remove gently using a wooden or plastic scraper|
|Limescale||Remove using detergent with low content of citric or acetic acid, maximum of 10% only|
To treat stains:
- Use a soft bristled brush and a mild house cleaner for your everyday spills and stains.
- Use a paste of baking soda and water and apply to the affected area with a soft bristled brush to remove tough stains. If you brush too aggressively you can actually damage the surface.
- For extremely stubborn stains, apply nail polish remover to the affected surface and let it rest for a maximum of 2 minutes. Then just rinse the area thoroughly with warm water and wipe completely dry. Always be careful that you don’t strip the colour, if you leave it on too long.
Image via kompacplus
Maintenance of Kompacplus Countertop
Though kompacplus does not need resealing, you must always abide by the following rules to maintain the surface as long as possible:
- Never let your countertop get into any direct contact with heat, like a scalding hot pot, a fry pan with boiling oil/water, an open flame (blow torch) or heat producing appliances. If this happens, you will see cracking and blistering, and it isn’t pretty at all.
- Avoid harsh chemicals like bleach, especially prolonged exposure to them. This will discolour your surface. Also say goodbye to acidic cleaners and harsh or abrasive solutions.
- Never leave water ponding on the surface for long periods of time.
- Never install kompacplus outdoors or in exposure to direct UV lighting. Sunshine will produce a harsh warping, and discolouration.
Image via kompacplus
Kompacplus costs anywhere between $60 to $100 per square foot.
11.Silestone Countertop Guide
Silestone is a fusion of naturally found quartz and other resinous raw materials, that are hardened to create the ideal surface for your kitchen countertops.
Silestone is, after all, a niche branded engineered quartz by Cosentino. Silestone is a great Investment for a kitchen countertop because it has a 25 year transferable warranty. That means, your countertop will increase the valuation of your kitchen substantially, if you're interested in resale value.
With a Silestone countertop, there are three surface finishes available. The suede surface is a matte texture finish with a uniquely soft touch that offers high quality colour consistency.
Image via Cosentino
For the more rustically inclined household, the volcano is a perforated finish that is smooth to the touch.
Image via Cosentino
For those who require the comfortable solace of a conventional countertop, the polished surface is a classic finish that emboldens the colour clarity and shine of your countertop.
Image via Cosentino
ADVANTAGES OF SILESTONE
- You will never have to worry about stains from coffee, wine, lemon juice and other products you might use daily. Being made from quartz, one of the hardest minerals on earth, you won’t break a sweat when pots and pans drop on the surface. It’s highly resistant to impact.
- Silestone is very durable and there is no way it’ll get chipped, even during delivery and installation.
- Silestone is virtually non-porous. That also means you’ll never have to seal it.
- The magical thing about silestone is that is can repel harmful bacteria from food like raw chicken and egg yolks
- You don’t need special cleaners for it, like mild soap and what not. It’s an easy clean with regular soap and water, or the occasional Mr Muscle. Yes, it can take a deep clean with vinegar too.
- It can withstand scorching too. So the occasional blow torch slip while browning the creme brulee or lighting a match, will not turn its colour.
- There is a stunning variety of colours and shades to choose from.
- Unlike natural slabs of quartz or granite, there are low to no emissions of radon, the nasty cancer causing radioactive mineral. Yikes!
Image via Cosentino
DISADVANTAGES OF SILESTONE
- Because it’s an engineered stone and not a natural stone, it sometimes doesn’t have the rustic natural veinings that many people prefer.
- Silestone is produced in slabs so you or your interior designer may have to do some prior planning if you want to avoid the presence of seams.
- Should any chipping occur at the edges, you’d need professional repair, so it’s best to keep round edges.
- Though silestone can be scorch resistant, it’s not very heat resistant so you’d have to use a pot holder, a trivet or coaster between your heated pots and pans.
For everyday spills:
- Use dish soap and warm water to cleanse the surface and pat dry.
For tough stains
- Spot clean the area with trichloroethylene, acetone or paint thinners.
Image via Cosentino
To keep your Silestone looking bright and radiant,
- Keep up with stains and spills by not letting them dry on the surface.
- Ever use hydrofluoric acid, Dichloromethane, sodium hydroxide- caustic soda or any other form of paint strippers.
- Use bleach for maintenance. Every time you use bleach, if it remains on the surface for more than 12 hours, it will lose its shine and sheen.
- use any alkaline cleaning products with a pH higher than 12. That means, don't even think about using your oven cleaner on the surface.
- Put a heat generating appliance like a deep fat fryer on top of your surface.
- install your Silestone countertop outdoors or anywhere with excessive UV light exposure. The suns rays will definitely dull your countertop.
- Use water repellent or sealants to add shine. It looks artificial and only lasts a short while.
Price Point Of Silestone
Silestone is pretty pricey, with a range of $50 to $100 per slab. That’s the equivalent of medium-range granite prices.
12.Caesarstone Countertop Guide
Caesarstone is another quartz-based engineered stone in the countertop market. It offers the best of quartz without the pesky issues you’ll find if you purchased the natural version. Caesarstone is extremely meticulous when it comes to getting the finest quartz crystals as raw materials. In fact, it has up to 93% natural quartz aggregate and the rest are pigments for that eye-catching colour and polymer resins to hold the mix altogether
They make Caesarstone by mixing all the materials then moulding it into slabs before placing in 100 psi (that’s a lot!) of pressure, while vibrating it in a vacuum to make sure the pesky air bubbles are completely removed. This makes for an almost perfectly compressed surface. Caesarstone slabs are then cured for 45 minutes at around 90°C in a kiln, making it strong, solid and highly durable.
Image via Caesarstone
Advantages of Caesarstone
- Because of its quarts based makeup, Caesarstone is highly scratch resistant, compared to laminate and Solid Surface. It’s also quite hard to chip or crack.
- As in engineered stone, you won’t have to worry too much about stains due to seepage. The surface is non-absorbent and non-porous.
- Cleaning the surface is also a breeze because it doesn’t dull from household chemicals, acid and solvents.
- Another benefit of its non-porosity is that you will never find mildew or mould on it.
- If you’re constantly placing heavy items on your countertop, then you’ll be glad to know Caesarstone has a very high flexural strength.
- There are so many colours to choose from their main collections, and you’ll find the colours and veins to be very consistent.
- If you’re thinking of installing it in subzero temperatures, or in a place where temperatures rapidly fluctuate, then you’ll be glad to know that Caesarstone doesn’t warp from freezing and thawing.
Image via Caesarstone
Disadvantages of Caesarstone
- When it comes to heat, open flames and burn resistance it has about the same resistance as most items on the market. It tends to blister and crack.
- On a rare occasion, you may find yourself dropping a pot on the hard edge, the blunt force can cause chipping, but this can be curbed by using round edges.
- If you prefer a honed surface to the usually polished surfaces, you’d have to be careful because hones surfaces are damage prone. So be careful when scraping food off the surface with a blade or metal scraper.
- Caesarstone is very dense and much heavier than granite. Meaning, your cupboards and kitchen island frame need to be sturdy to take the load of supporting it.
Image via Caesarstone
For everyday cleaning
- Use a mild detergent and warm water, any mild cleaning spray with a wipeable type cleaning sponge.
For stubborn stains and pesky dried spills
- Use a non-abrasive cleaner to scrub the surface and rinse to remove the dirt and gunk.
- Use a plastic putty knife to scrape away any gunk and hardened liquids, followed by a damp cloth that can get rid of any dirt and scuff marks.
Caesarstone is practically maintenance free with no sealing necessary. Though it remains mostly unaffected by temperatures up to till 150℃(300℉), a sudden change in temperature can cause blistering and cracking. Always ensure you place any surface that releases heat on a pad or a trivet.
Image Via Caesarstone
Caesarstone is by no means cheap, commanding anywhere between $30 to $100 per square foot.
Note From Stoneamperor Crew:
Hope you like our Countertop Guide!
Please drop us a comment if you have any questions and hope you have a great time finding your ideal countertop!
Any Inquiries Feel Free to find us